If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
Student Access Services

Housing Accommodations

If you are requesting housing accommodations for an upcoming semester, please fill out the application for servicesa self-disclosure form and send us documentation of your disability if you are not already registered with SAS.

The Office of Residence Life offers a variety of living environments that accommodate many different lifestyle needs. The University is committed to providing reasonable housing accommodations to students who require them due to a disability, including the accommodation of a single room where medically necessary.


Students may request an accommodation of a single room. You must meet with a member of the Student Access Services staff, who will evaluate the request, and you must submit updated documentation (form enclosed) from your treating physician in order to request an accommodation of a single room.  
Timeline for Housing Accommodations:
New students should submit all documentation to SAS at the time they deposit to the University, which is typically May 1. Returning students who are requesting housing accommodations for the first time, or are renewing their request should submit documentation by the “homesteading deadline” in the room selection process.  These deadlines are established to enable the University sufficient time to review requests and for consideration to be given before the housing assignment process for all students begins. If you have a need for a housing accommodation outside of this timeline, email SAS at SAS[at]Hofstra.edu to submit.
Please note that learning to share space and connecting with others is an essential part of living in a residential community. Requests for special housing accommodations based on preferences, as opposed to need, will be declined as disability accommodations. For example, a student diagnosed with a disability seeking a single room to serve as a distraction-free, undisturbed place to study represents a preference, but not a necessity.
A recommendation from SAS for the accommodation of a single room requires an updated student request each year, unless waived by Student Access Services. You may be asked for updated medical documentation from your treating provider.

Documentation must include all of the following:

  1. Diagnosis of Condition
  2. Nature of related symptoms, severity of symptoms
  3. Length of time you have been symptomatic
  4. How your symptoms functionally prevent you from living with a roommate
  5. History of related hospitalizations if applicable
  6. A specific recommendation that it is your treating physician’s professional opinion that an accommodation of a single room placement is required to accommodate your disability; even though this may increase isolation.
  7. Verification from the practitioner of ongoing treatment for your disability (dependent upon diagnosis)

The SAS team will review submitted documentation to determine whether you are eligible to receive a Single Room Accommodation recommendation. Please be sure to include your contact information on the documentation form so that SAS may contact you to discuss your request when it is reviewed for eligibility. If you are eligible, a recommendation will be made to the Director of Residential Operations for you to receive the accommodation.
The Director of Residential Operations is not advised of your diagnosis. It is entirely your choice to share or not share this information. All room assignments are subject to availability.

Student Access Services complies with federal and state disability laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1978, and the Fair Housing Act, that prohibit discrimination and require that universities ensure equal access for qualified persons with disabilities to educational programs, services and activities, including residential facilities. Please complete the attached form to assist SAS in determining appropriate and reasonable disability accommodations.