Submitting Theses & Dissertations
All students must submit their Hofstra University Master’s Thesis or Doctoral Dissertation online through the UMI ETD Administrator. The Serials Office of Axinn Library is available to guide you through the submission process and assist you with any questions or problems you may have.
Your thesis or dissertation must be completely finalized before submitting. This means that all editing is completed, the manuscript has been accepted by the department, and all required signatures are included on the title page. Specifics about formatting, title page requirement, and/or copyright page requirements (typically for dissertation students only) must be obtained from the particular department. The Serials Department of the Axinn library does not have this information.
Preparing your Manuscript for Online Submission:
Once your thesis or dissertation is completely finalized, you will need to incorporate the signed title page into the manuscript and convert the entire thesis/dissertation into a PDF. Step-by-step instructions are here.
Once your manuscript has been converted into a PDF with the signed title page:
- Go to http://dissertations.umi.com/hofstra
- Click on “submit my dissertation/thesis”
- Click on “create an account”
You will be guided through the steps of submitting your manuscript in PDF format for digital publishing. If you are unable to complete the process in one sitting, you can save your information at any time and continue your submission later. FAQs are included throughout the site. If you wish to consult the FAQs before beginning the process, you can do so at http://www.etdadmin.com/cgi-bin/main/faq?siteId=19.
A few notes about the submission process:
- Copyright is required for dissertations. It is optional for thesis. There is a cost for copyright registration.
- A microfilm of your manuscript will automatically appear in your “cart” at check-out with a fee of $20. This microfilm is required and will automatically be sent to the Serials Department of the Axinn Library for inclusion into the Hofstra University Archive.
- The library no longer binds print copies. If you wish to have bound copies, you can either order them directly from the UMI ETD Administrator during the online submission process, or you can have copies bound at a copy shop such as Staples or FedEx Office.
- The ETD system defaults to having the dissertation and thesis metadata (not the full-text) discoverable via Google and Google Scholar. If you would like to remove your ProQuest-provided metadata from Google and Google Scholar, you can do so by contacting ProQuest at 1-800-521-0600.
Once your manuscript is submitted, the Serials Department of the Axinn Library will review your submission and contact you via email. If you do not hear from us or have any questions about submitting your thesis or dissertation, feel free to contact Kristine Pires at 516-463-6439, Kristine.Pires@hofstra.edu, or Sarah (Sally) Glasser at 516-463-5959, Sarah.Glasser@hofstra.edu. You can also contact ETD Technical Support at 877-408-5027. And last but not least...
Congratulations on completing your thesis or dissertation!!