If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
  • Summer registration is now open!

FAQ: What you need to know about Summer Sessions

Q. Who can attend Summer Sessions? 

A. Admitted or continuing students in good standing; visiting undergraduate students from other colleges or universities for a summer session only, provided they are in good standing at their college; high school students who have completed their junior year; and nonmatriculated graduate students.

Undergraduate students from other institutions wishing to enroll in a summer session course on a nonmatriculated (visiting) basis must submit a Visiting Student Application, available at hofstra.edu/apply, along with an official letter verifying good academic standing and a $50 application fee to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. New nonmatriculated graduate students must contact the Office of Graduate Admissions, show proof of a baccalaureate degree, and complete a Graduate Nonmatriculated Application Form (not applicable to business students).

Visiting undergraduate students must apply by visiting the Office of Undergraduate Admission (Bernon Hall, 516-463-6700). Visiting students who intend to transfer Hofstra course credit back to their home schools are encouraged to discuss their plans with an academic adviser at their home school prior to enrolling. A total of 12 credits can be earned as a visiting student while attending Hofstra. Additional credits may be taken upon approval from the Director of Admission. Students can enroll in consecutive terms as a visiting student until the 12 credit limit is reached without reapplying through the Office of Admission.

New fall semester undergraduate first-year and transfer students may begin their studies in the summer as visiting students. Accordingly, they must first contact the Office of Admission (Bernon Hall, 516-463-6700). Once admitted for the summer, students should set up an appointment with the Center for University Advisement (101 Memorial Hall, 107 Mack Student Center, 516-463-6770 or 516-463-7222) to discuss their course selection for the summer. After meeting with the Center for University Advisement, registration takes place through the Office of the Registrar (Memorial Hall, second floor, 516-463-8000).

Nonmatriculated graduate students may enroll in summer courses with advisement from an appropriate faculty member. The nonmatriculated admission process must be initiated at the Office of Graduate Admissions (105 Memorial Hall, South Campus). Students must complete a Graduate Nonmatriculated Application (with an application fee of $60) and show proof of baccalaureate degree. A maximum of 12 credits is permitted as a non-matriculant. 

Q. Can high school students take summer classes?

A. Yes, high school students who have completed their junior year may attend summer sessions at Hofstra University as a visiting student. Students may register for certain introductory courses for which all prerequisites have been met. It is strongly recommended that high school students discuss their plans in advance with their guidance counselors. High school students apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admission (Bernon Hall, 516-463-6700).

Q. How do I register for classes? 

A. Hofstra University students enroll through the portal at My.Hofstra.edu. Visiting students must submit the Visiting Student Application, wait to receive their Hofstra University ID number and then enroll through the by filling out the Class Add/Drop Form which is made available through the Office of Undergraduate Admission. 

Q. How many credits can I take?

A. Undergraduate students may register for a maximum of seven semester hours per session or a total of 14 semester hours during Summer Sessions I and II, three or four credits for Summer Session III. Graduate students may enroll in no more than two courses in Summer Session I and Summer Session II, and no more than one course in Summer Session III.

Q. I am a visiting student, how can I transfer credits to my home institution?

A. College students planning to use course work at Hofstra to meet home-school degree requirements are strongly recommended to consult, in advance, their college for approval of transfer credit (written approval is advisable). Each institution sets its own rules for acceptance of transfer credit. Transcripts may be ordered through Hofstra Online.

At the end of the summer session (not before the last week), you may request a transcript of your scholastic record be sent to your home institution. There is no fee for transcripts ordered online via the Hofstra portal; $5 per transcript is charged for transcripts ordered via paper form. A student in good standing may receive a transcript required by the Armed Forces without charge. Students may also request copies of course descriptions at $3/page. All requests are processed through the Office of Academic Records/Registrar upon written request and payment of the appropriate fee. No transcript will be issued for a student who is in arrears. Transcripts are processed in the order in which requests are received. During peak periods, you should expect a one- to two-week delay.

Q. Can I register for a class in person?

A. Yes, you may bring registration forms with payment directly to the Stu­dent Financial Services and Registrar Suite, 206 Memorial Hall, Monday and Thursday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.; Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. For up-to-date walk-in hours, please visit hofstra.edu/sfscalendar.

Q. How do I find a course description? 

A. You can search for classes, locations of classes and course descriptions at Hofstra.edu/classlookup. You do not need a Hofstra University ID number.

Q. Will I automatically be dropped from my class if I never attend?

A. No, if you change your mind about attending a summer class that you registered for you must drop the class yourself, otherwise you will be liable for all charges, including late fees.

Q. Is there summer housing available?

A. Yes, students registering for summer session classes can live on-campus in Alliance Hall. This is a traditional residence hall, recently renovated to enhance this high-rise environment. A newly renovated kitchen on the 12th floor will prove to be an ideal place to prepare or share a meal with members of the Alliance Hall community, with a view overlooking Hofstra’s campus and surrounding community. All rooms in Alliance Hall have new state-of-the-art furniture to maximize your comfort while residing on campus. The building is staffed 24 hours a day by resident security representatives and RAs are on duty each evening from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. the following morning. Rooms are furnished with a bed, mattress, desk, desk chair, desk light, and wardrobe/closet. Residence hall accommodations also include access to Hofstra’s computer network, cable, and local telephone access. Alliance is air-conditioned to ensure your comfort while residing on campus this summer.

Q. How do I apply for summer housing?

A. To apply for on-campus housing, please visit the Office of Residential Life website for detailed instructions on accessing the summer housing application and payment information.  Assignments are made on a date-received basis with priority given to students enrolled in classes, returning Hofstra resident students and those students required to reside on campus. (Roommate requests are considered only when both applications are sent together.) Housing may be available for visiting students.

Q. Is financial aid available for the summer?

A. Loans are available to eligible students for the summer attending at least half-time. Some alternative loan programs are also available. Pell grants may be available to eligible students. Contact the Office of Student Financial Services for more information. If you attend another institution, please check with your financial aid office.

If your question was not answered please
email summer@hofstra.edu

  • Summer registration is now open!